Date: October 6, 2013
Study: Scripture: Unchanging Truth in a Changing World
Teacher: Kameron Slater
3 Simple Steps for Studying the Bible
- What is the big picture? A 30,000 foot flyover of a book or passage to get the context, common themes, and tone.
- What is the deeper meaning? Putting boots on the ground to bring out the details of each chapter or section.
- What is the summary? Creating a map of a entire book. A one or two sentence description that relates to the passage as a whole.
Suggestions for Marking Your Bible
- Orange = references to God’s glory
- Green = references to earlier Scripture
- Purple = references to royalty/kingship/the coming Messiah
- Red = anything notable, particularly the actions of Jesus
- Blue = references to faith, belief, piety, etc
- Pink = references to knowing or fearing God
- Yellow = anything notable, repeated words or themes
- Examine your beliefs. Are you being deluded with modern day philosophies or traditions which contradict the Word or aren’t in the Word? What are they? How will you combat this?
- Inductive Bible Study isn’t easy. How can you make it your goal to let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly and walk according to it?